Had a fun expensive Christmas!

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

Christmas was a bit more fun this year, when the lights in certain rooms started flickering and went black. Lost the same leg of the 240 again. This time I called the electrician. It wasn't the bad main breaker that I thought was causing the problem, it was no power into the box! The electrician went up to the meter and heard arcing! After the power company arrived and the meter removed, we found that one of the meter sockets was arcing between the cable attachment lug and the socket. All is well now.

While the electrician was there, I had him replace the stuck breaker in the box also. It took clamping the breaker in a vise and torquing it with a channel-lock to get it to move. Surgery found that the contacts had welded themselves together. This breaker was the same that I had done most of my early coiling on. I'm glad I didn't have a line short during any of that, or I could have wound up roasting marshmellows.

Hope the rest of you all had a fun Christmas!

David E Weiss