Re: mini coil

Hi.

For disruptive coils, any type of "plastic stuff" should work just fine. Cardboard "sono tube" may decrease spark length about 5% due to RF losses especially if it is humid. It may be like 100X worse than any plastic but still not too bad really.

The choice of plastics may be a bit more critical with a continuous wave coil where RF losses my contribute much more to heating. You can simply put a chunk of the material in a microwave oven to see if it heats up excessively. That is a very good test for RF losses!!

Thin wall tubing can sometimes warp into an oval shape so you do not want to get it too thin.

Be sure to avoid black plastics since they may contain carbon black which will short out the secondary coil and will literally burn it up!! There are some ABS plastics that are black but perfectly fine. They are very shiny and will not mark paper rubbed on it. If the black plastic leaves a "pencil mark" on paper, it is very bad!

All the green or white sewer and water pipes are fine. You may want to clean off any ink writing and sand and clean the surface to really get it clean and smooth. All clear plastics are fine with the exception of some thin metal or conductive coated plastics used to fight static build up but those are very rare.

Cheers,

        Terry