Re: Charging inductors for resonant charging

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
 >
 > Ed, Jim and all,
 >
 > Here's an idea I was kicking around with Ed Wingate a while back. You could
 > simply use another distribution transformer and ballast as a HV charging
 > inductor. Use the HV winding in series as the charging inductor. Connect
 > the low voltage side of the DT to high current ballast (welder or
 > adjustable high current inductive ballast). The DT will multiply the LV
 > side ballast inductance by its turns ratio squared, easily making the HV
 > side look like a large, adjustable, HV inductor. And a properly sized DT
 > already has the necessary BIL and current rating required.
 >
 > By selecting the proper distribution transformer and ballast, you should be
 > able to get almost infinite flexibility with without the need to resort to
 > a custom HV choke.
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > -- Bert --

Bert, all,

Since our talk, I tried what we had discussed with my dual primary
14.4/7.2 KV GE 10 KVA pole transformer.

With the primary switch on the pole transformer set at 7200 volts and a
Lincoln AC 225-S variable shunt welder across the 240 volt terminals I
could vary the inductance from 5.62 to 13.72 Henries. With the welder
across one of the 120 volt terminals and neutral the inductance range
varied between 15.86 and 28.91 Henries. Very good adjustment range and
no need to custom wind an inductor.

Ed Wingate RATCB