Re: High voltage standing waves with a magnetron?

 > Frankly, I don't know enough about magnetrons to be authoritative, but I
 > would expect one to oscillate when fed from a current-limited supply of
 > the appropriate voltage.

While the magnetron isn't a resistive load, it still has the basic
property.. reduce the current flow through it, reduces the voltage across it
(that is, it isn't a negative resistance device).  Think of it as a big HV
diode with a lot of voltage drop.  You can't put HV and low current across a
forward biased semiconductor diode.

 > If you only want milliwatts at microwaves, you may be better off
 > considering a reflex klystron, or maybe a TWT ?
Kind of expenive and requires HV in both cases (not that HV is a problem for
readers of this list)

How about an 802.11b network card... 2.5 GHz, 10-100 mW, etc.

 > One day I'm going to build a 'HERF' as you say, probably, but not
 > necessarily pulsed, running from 12V dc & mounted in/on my car.  Anyone
 > guess what it's for ???

Hood ornament? Electronic roo bar?