Re: JavaTC and Coil Design

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Gregory,

The recommended wire size is simply a calc based on the 6 skin depth
approximation, and if the bare wire diameter remains unchanged, then you'll
see this figure change from run to run as the frequency changes with turns.
It's not a critical value to be too concerned with. Should you be off by
several gauges, then the secondary losses will be higher, but only if the
wire is much thinner than recommended. It's just a recommendation, sort of
like a derating to ensure RF losses are minimized, and in the overall
scheme of things, secondary losses are small in comparison to other areas
of the system, so it's not a big concern.

For the normal frequency range of TC's, just stay within 3 or 4 awg sizes.

Take care,
Bart