RE: audio modulated SSTC

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I wouldn't go so far and say something like that.  SSTC audio modulation
is a very worthwhile and rewarding experiment.
Performance can actually be very impressive and quality is quite high
despite the fact audio is coming from a high
voltage plasma.  For anyone who've heard my stereo SSTC PlasmaSonic
coils in action can attest to that.

I've also done some additional work early this winter with the use of
parametric equalizers to further refine the audio and ultimately the
quality of the playback with a SSTC coil.

So in summary, audio modulating an SSTC coil is DEFINITELY worth it.

Dan

Well I for one would say audio modulating an SSTC isn't worth it since
you only get mediocre sound quality.  Tube driven tweeters run in the
10s of megahertz range.  Having built a tube driven plasma tweeter, I
can tell you that the coil that actually steps the voltage up is only 15
turns of 16awg solid wire, so it's resonant frequency will be very high.
Yes they do use grid modulation, but the tube is already running at
around 30mhz to generate the plasma flame, then you just modulate the
signal to the coil.  I wonder if there is such a thing that you could
use to build a self resonant audio modulated sstc by feeding the output
of the comparator to another chip which would also take the audio input.
That way, it could amplitute modulate the input signal from the
comparator, which I think would allow audio modulation,  is there such a
thing?  I think he was getting his info from dan's site,
www.spacecatlighting-dot-com...

Regards - Jim Mitchell