RE: audio modulated SSTC

Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com

I think AM mod of the rail would be the way to go for
real HiFi SSTC. Truly, the gate modulation is going to
get ok audio, but not quite HiFi. But the results are
realy quite impresive, and Jim, you shouldn't shoot it
down without at least trying it. I only wish I could
get more plasma to modulate! I know from My VTTC work
that a hotter and larger plasma discharge will give you
a deeper more full sounding audio. As it is I am quite
happy with the results, but the better tone control you
have over the audio source the better. A in-line
equalizer would be ideal, but I am happy with my
previously mentioned pre-amp with base and treble
control, works well enough. Sure the heck beats trying
to fight with my audio modulated VTTC everytime I
wanted to play with it!

Regards,

David Trimmell

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:18:51 -0700, "Tesla list" wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H"
 > <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >

 > I wouldn't go so far and say something like that.
SSTC
 > audio modulation
 > is a very worthwhile and rewarding experiment.
 > Performance can actually be very impressive and
quality
 > is quite high
 > despite the fact audio is coming from a high
 > voltage plasma.  For anyone who've heard my stereo
SSTC
 > PlasmaSonic
 > coils in action can attest to that.
 >
 > I've also done some additional work early this winter
 > with the use of
 > parametric equalizers to further refine the audio and
 > ultimately the
 > quality of the playback with a SSTC coil.
 >
 > So in summary, audio modulating an SSTC coil is
 > DEFINITELY worth it.
 >
 > Dan
 >

 > Well I for one would say audio modulating an SSTC
isn't
 > worth it since
 > you only get mediocre sound quality.  Tube driven
 > tweeters run in the
 > 10s of megahertz range.  Having built a tube driven
 > plasma tweeter, I
 > can tell you that the coil that actually steps the
 > voltage up is only 15
 > turns of 16awg solid wire, so it's resonant frequency
 > will be very high.
 > Yes they do use grid modulation, but the tube is
 > already running at
 > around 30mhz to generate the plasma flame, then you
 > just modulate the
 > signal to the coil.  I wonder if there is such a thing
 > that you could
 > use to build a self resonant audio modulated sstc by
 > feeding the output
 > of the comparator to another chip which would also
take
 > the audio input.
 > That way, it could amplitute modulate the input signal
 > from the
 > comparator, which I think would allow audio
modulation,
 >  is there such a
 > thing?  I think he was getting his info from dan's
site,