RE: Primary Winding (Strip vs Tube

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

While we are certainly talking about RF currents, I don't believe the
resistance of primary conductors really is affected by the frequency, at
least not for the frequencies that we are using.  In my experiments
measuring AC resistance of various primary conductors
(http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/primary_resistance.htm), an aluminum
conductor behaved no differently than a copper conductor. AC resistance
was always in proportion to DC resistance.  A poor conductor is a poor
conductor, at DC and at TC frequencies.  There are many good reasons to
choose copper over aluminum conductors for a TC primary, but skin effect
is not one of them.

As far as a flawed statement, I assumed the discussion considered only
materials that common wires are made of, which would exclude carbon.  If
one needs to be told that dielectrics are a poor choice for wire
conductors, I don't think there's anything I could say that would help.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

I believe Gary was talking about RF currents --- like in a Tesla coil
primary circuit.

While aluminum and steel are acceptable at 60 Hz they are poor choices
for
HF RF currents.  The result is the peak current in the primary is
reduced
considerably.  Peak current (lots of it) is precisely what you want in a
TC
primary circuit, and you won't get this with steel or aluminum.  Stick
copper --- it's withstood the test of time by hundreds of TC
experimenters.

Dr. Resonance

  > I think your statement is a bit flawed...steel is by far not the
worst
  > conductor for a primary. Carbon would be much worse, then you have
any
form
  > of dielectric which is a far worse conductor than steel...
  >
  > ---Eric

there
any