Re: Homemade paper capacitors...

Original poster: "Crow Leader" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 9:08 PM
Subject: Homemade paper capacitors...

 > Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
 >
 > I made a paper capacitor here:

<http://www.hydrogen18-dot-com/articles/oilpaper_cap/>http://www.hydrogen18-dot-com/
articles/oilpaper_cap/

 > and impregnated it with 10w-30 motor oil. I get a capacitance reading of
 > 0.093 uF. Does this seem reasonable? I have about 12 feet of dielectric in
 > there which when rolled appears to be 24 ft by 2 inches wide. Also, does
 > anyone have any ideas about voltage rating? I dont have a wide range of
 > voltages available and have been unable to get a flyback to work... Thanks
 > for any help you can provide.

It's probably a really lossy cap, with high leakage. I've made a few oil
paper caps, and unless you have some really good, degassed, dried oil and
dry paper, it's going to leak alot. You'd be surprised how much gas comes
out of oil when you apply even a crappy vacuum to it.

KEN