Re: Pig sales on Ebay

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:19 AM 2/5/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>
>
> > Of course, T&R might not sell to "just anyone" walking in the door!!!  You
> > know, like someone without "cash" ;-))  But you can only refuse so much
> > cash in hand ;-))  Although it has been many years, "bona fide utilities"
> > don't buy from T&R, but from places like GE with brand new fully certified
> > equipment.  Rebuilders traditionally take the old equipment and profit buy
> > giving it a nice paint job and selling to "anyone" they can.  There may be
> > a few "blips" now and then, but that passes when the court case gets thrown
> > out ;-))
><snip>
>
>Terry,
>
>I don't know what you mean by "bona fide utilities", but there hundreds
>of municipal power companies just in my area of the northeast who do buy
>from places like T&R. That's one of the ways they manage to keep the
>price of electricity low when compared to the larger utilities, the
>"bona fide" ones as you say.
>
>The monthly publication that I subscribe to lists dozens of rebuilders
>just like T&R who have been in business for years. They seem to manage
>to make enough money to stay in business and I'd bet my last dollar they
>don't do that simply by selling to Tesla coilers or other high voltage
>enthusiasts.
>
>Cash may talk, but multimillion dollar lawsuits will rule in the end and
>you can take that to the bank!
>
>Ed Wingate RATCB

They also sell to a lot of heavy electrical contractors.  Say you are
installing a several MVA facility where you get your electrical power at MV
distribution voltages (i.e. 14kV, etc.).  The contractor will be supplying
all the transformers to bring it down to 480/240/120 as appropriate, and
they use a ton of 10,25,50,75 kVAish devices.  Particularly, think about
upgrades to existing facilities (like amusement parks, shopping centers,
factories, etc.)  The building will have the MV/LV transformers as part of
their physical plant.

There are a lot of transformer banks around JPL, and, based on the
placards, I'll bet they're owned and maintained by the lab, not SCE
(although there is a several acre SCE switchyard/substation on
lab).  They're not going to distribute the megawatt or so we use as 240V...

In fact, I see that there's a "upgrade 2.4kV utilities" project going on,
where they're going to be installing a new substation with a 1000kVA
transformer, two 16.5kV primary circuits and 480/277 distribution, and
several others in that size range.