Re: tesla virgin no more ! but need help

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Steve,

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "steven hyman" <steve502-at-bellsouth-dot-net>
>My caps are Cornell 942C16P15k   rated -at-.15uf 1600VDC . I figured on a total
>capacitance
>of around .02 uf , why am i way off here?

For 15 caps and 2 strings in parallel, you are not off. It is 0.02uF total.
These should be good caps. Their not the Geek Caps as the rms current
rating is a couple amps less, but these should still be identical in the
high quality structure at the lead ends. I think the caps themselves are fine.

>I have a safety gap set a hair over firing gap space about .28". What I
>don't understand is if ..02uf is way overkill for a 15/30 with a static gap
>why does the coil operate with my 9/30,

Good question. I don't know. However, the 0.28" may be a little wide (about
17kV arc voltage). You might want to reset the gap to a total gap spacing
of 0.22" to drop it down to 15kV. Question: Have you tested the transformer
and static gap by themselves without the rest of the system to ensure 1)
the transformer is good and to set the gap spacing to the transformers arc
potential? If not, now would be a good time to perform that routine. If one
of the windings have shorted on the NST, you may only be getting 1/2
voltage (thus, the test).

The other poster who mentioned the cap size was correct. Your cap will
charge to the gap setting (obviously, you've proven that), but the time
required to charge the cap for the 15/30 is about 2 full cycles. I would
suggest a Static Gap LTR value of (.008uF) or near this. Note, 1 string of
your cap bank is 0.01uF. I would simply remove 1 string.

Also, retune at turn 9 initially. If it appears to be working correctly at
this point, then fine tune the tap for best output.

>I would like to properly match MMC size and Gap size for this 4" coil based
>on  some recommendations

I think the 0.01uF and slightly smaller gap spacing will do it.

>I have not blown any other caps since then
>when I apply power to the coil  with  a 15/30
>the gap fires briefly the coil functions for 1-5 seconds and then stops.

Yes, it's odd that the caps blew. I can't say why. Maybe something
mechanical such as cap proximity, resistors directly across the caps,
things of that nature.

Let us know how it goes,
Bart