Safety Gap

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

I was working out how I wanted to make my safety gap and happened across
something that has me confused.
Using the JavaTC program with a static spark gap and a 15KV NST, if I set
the total gap spacing to anything over 0.3” I am informed that the voltage
needed to jump the gap is greater than the peak voltage of the NST.

I was assuming that the safety gap would be set at close to this distance
as well.  I started playing with a 15KV 30mA NST.  I can set a gap of
almost ¾” and still get an arc when I energize the NST.  This seems to be
close to the cut off point since it sometimes will and sometimes will not
jump the ¾” gap.

Yes I know the peak voltage is around 21 or 22KV.  And just to avoid the
questions no I am not using a variac.  I just have a cord with a cord cap
on it and I plug it in, then poof an arc jumps the ¾”.

Is JavaTC telling me something other than what I think it is?  Is there
something I am missing?  Any comments.

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net