From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 3:34 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Capacitor - series?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

You have to be careful that the voltage will equally divide across the
capacitors.

For example, if you have a 10kV, 1uF cap and a 1kV, 1uF cap, you
couldn't put them in series to get a 11kV, 0.5uF cap.
You would get about 5kV across each capacitor assuming ideal conditions.

Dan

Can we series caps that are diffrent in working voltage and capitance?
Example if we have a 1 nf 10 kV cap and a 10 nF 1 kV cap? If i series
them il get 11 kV capacitor? What will happen with capitance, will this
work?