Re: Safety Gap

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Luke,

Absolutely! What you basically have is a needle gap. The influence of
electrode shape and size plays a major role defining the arc voltage for a
given gap width. For larger electrodes and the narrow gap spacing used for
the typical spark gap configuration, the numbers should be pretty close.
The reason is that the electrodes appear planar. But as you start
decreasing the electrode size where the gap width is larger than the
electrode size, the shape and curvature come into play. And with that, if
the gap width is "much" larger, the electrodes begin to appear like a point
or needle gap.

Dr. Resonance last year tested flat electrodes with a 30kV supply varying
the gap width and measuring the voltage at which the gap conducted. Javatc
follows those actual arc voltage measurements pretty darn close throughout
it's range. Thanks to Dr. R's measurements, I had some actual data to work
with. However, if a needle gap such as you have set up is used, then all
bets are off. However, what you have provided here is another good piece of
information that can be jotted down for review regarding a needle gap setup
with a 15/30 NST could arc across 3/4", which is certainly believable.

Take care,
Bart