Re: Single-bushing 14.7kV pigs. Thoughts?

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

Though I've only temporarily hooked up my pig to a coil once, it worked
fine with only a single bushing.  The inside of the primary, the base of
the secondary, and case of the transformer can all be grounded to your RF
ground.  The other option, since you have two of them, is to run each of
them off of 120 V (across the 240 V winding), and hook the outputs in
series with the cases grounded together a la NSTs.  This will give you two
HV output bushing, but it won't be floating WRT to ground as a true double
bushing pig would be.  If you really want to go crazy, you could take the
pig apart, and remove the wire from the HV side that is connected to the
case, get another bushing and hook that up . . . but thats a lot of work in
a big oily mess.  Or you could do what Dave Leddon did, and recase the pig
in plastic: http://nick_tesla.home-dot-comcast-dot-net/TheVisiblePig.jpg

Sean