Re: Single-bushing 14.7kV pigs. Thoughts?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes-at-silicon-arcana-dot-com>

 >  >
 >  >After months of searching and drooling over
 > hopelessly-expensive 5kVA units
 >  >on eBay, I finally found a cheap local source for
 > used pigs (in Seattle).
 >  >
 > <SNIP>
 >  >
 >  >Trouble is, they're the single-bushing sort.
 >  >
 > <SNIP>
 >  >
 >  >Regards,
 >  >Aaron
 >  >

 > Hi Aaron, Coilers,
 >
 > My coils are presently powered by a single bushing
 > 14.4 -at- 10 KVA PDT
 > which is working just fine.  On the dolly which
 > holds the PDT and my
 > ballast choke, I also have a 30 Amp Corcom filter.
 > That's the point
 > where the power ground (the green, or 3rd. lead)
 > ends.  The case of
 > the PDT is grounded only to my dedicated Tesla
 > ground which happens
 > to be the ground point for the inner end of the
 > primary as well as
 > the bottom of the secondary.  This has the
 > advantage, as I see it,
 > of making the close proximity of the primary and
 > secondary at the
 > same potential.  I've had no problems with this
 > arrangement.
 >
 > 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Thanks for the encouraging words, Weazle!  So, if I
rig up some protective filtering on the output, it'll
end up looking like half of what I did for my NST,
yes?  For example, I would only choke the single hot
lead, only have one side of the typical three-legged
saftey gap, etc., since the other leg of the
transformer is protected already by virtue of being
tied directly to my RF ground...?

73, Aaron, N7OE