Chokes vs Safety Gaps

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I fail to see how a ~1mH choke in series with a ~1kH iron-cored transformer
secondary will provide any protection whatsoever.  If used in conjunction
with an RC circuit, then that could be bad, too.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/rlcfilter/rlcfilter.html

A properly-set safety gap will just barely not fire at full operating
voltage without the primary capacitor connected, so I fail to see how a
properly-set safety gap with a properly-tuned and operated TC will be
ineffective or affect performance....  IME a safety gap will not fire
unless the TC is out of tune or the power supply is overvolted via an
overvolting variac.

My 2 cents.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group