Re: Chokes vs Safety Gaps

I may be off topic a bit but I still defend a small RF choke before the RF
signal goes into the NST.  Sure the NST has a high inductance and will
supress, but it's like letting the fox into the henhouse and then trying to
deal with him.

A small RF choke in conjuction with some resistors chokes off the high
frequency signals before they get into your xmfr high inductance
winding ---- if you let it get into your NST then it causes tracking and
will damage the delicate HV winding while the inductance is trying to
supress the HF signal.  The idea is to grab the bad spikes --- before
entering your xmfr --- not trying to deal with them once they are inside the
NST and serious tracking and capacitive coupling is occuring.

Once they are in the xmfr, as you suggest, sure they are supressed, but
while being suppressed by the large inductance they have to traveling
through the windings first, and, unfortunately this can lead to damage.
Usually in the form of both tracking and capacitive coupling from turn-turn
or layer-layer through the interlayer insulation.

A parallel would be an automotive fuel filter.  You try to trap the sediment
BEFORE it enters the carb --- you don't try to clean it up once it's already
inside the carb doing some damage or restricting flow.

We use a small toroid RF choke with 2-4 turns on it before the HF enters the
resistance --- which spoils the Q and further reduces the signal.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913