From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 11:55 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Single-bushing 14.7kV pigs. Thoughts?

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Dr. R,

No, I didn't bother with a safety gap on the pig as pigs are darn-near
bullet proof but I did place a 15 kV lightning arrester across the pig
and it didn't appear to shunt any of the input voltage to ground. I had
used a 12 kV arrester and it would start shunting the input HV to ground
when I cranked the HV up to past 14 or 15 kV. It was pretty easy to tell
when the arrester was starting to clip the HV to the coil as the coil's
output would start to "clip" and fire erratically. I'm reasonably
certain
that both arresters worked properly and the voltage never got high
enough
from the pig to cause the 15 kV arrester to "clip". So it would appear
that there was certainly no "excessive" resonant voltage rise.

David Rieben