Re: Chokes vs Safety Gaps

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I hadn't seen the NSTWinding paper.  But I think the real frequencies of
interest are the ones over 1MHz, which are generated by the spark
gap.  Indeed, the Terry Filter is "tuned" to these higher harmonics, not
the fundamental resonant frequency.

It has been a while since I read the RLC paper, but I'm not so sure anymore
about the results.  I think that any NST filter should be two center-tapped
filters, a la the "Terry Filter."  Putting a resistor (albeit a large
wirewound) on one leg of the NST, an inductor on the other leg, and a
capacitor between the two that isn't tied to ground is not indicative of a
real world filter.  I would be interested to see if the test results
changed significantly if a "double pole" filter was used.  (ducking to
avoid a swing from Terry :p ).

I would expect a fairly good filter design to feature an RLC filter with
the inductors straddled by two resistors (NST-C-R-L-R-TC).  The resistors
would kill the Q of the resonant circuits comprised of both the filter cap
and inductor and main cap and inductor.  IMO this is practically executed
by using a large wirewound resistor ;)

I would never run an NST-powered Tesla Coil without a safety gap, even with
a static gap.  I also strongly encourage people to build at least an RC
filter a la the "Terry Filter" minus the MOVs.

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group