Re: Static Gap question.

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

 > I would think that the breakdown voltage for a set of paralleled disk
 > electrodes would be less than that of a pair of balls or similar curved
 > type electrodes, assuming the same spacing.  The field would tend to be
 > more concentrated between the paralleled disks, and hence the breakdown
 > would occur at a lower voltage.  Perhaps Terry's E-Tesla program could
 > be used to graphically show this effect?

The Inca program can. The default example for field mapping is a
gap formed by two (quite large) disks with rounded edges. The field
is higher at the edges in the example. It's easy to experiment with
different ratios between radius of curvature at the edges,
disk diameter, and disk separation to see what happens.
(http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz