Re: Input voltage minimum

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Luke,

For the same bang energy, as the voltage drops - the capacitance has to
increase. For the same secondary, on order to keep time, the primary coil
has to decrease in size. So the current goes up and gap loss increases...
But I never gave efficiency too much attention, so:
Within these boundary`s, I once lashed up a quick and dirty (and very
enjoyable, I may add) coil, run off 2 MOT`s and with only 8 pcs. 56nF
1600DCV caps.

I just threw it together one day, to see if there is any need for a strike
ring, and since then, I`ve always thought it was the perfect beginners coil.

Cheers, Finn Hammer