From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 7:11 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Static Gap question.

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I have heard reports that increasing airflow through a gap beyond some
point leads to arc-stretching and diminished performance.  Personally
I've
not seen this.  I would imagine that very high airflow would lead to a
higher breakdown voltage and possibly unstable performance.  With my
sucker
gap I have a dimmer to the vacuum cleaner motor and have seen only that
performance is poor with no air, and performance improves as airflow is
increased to something like 20%, with no change either way beyond
that.  The motor is very loud and draws a lot of power at full throttle,
so
I tend to run it only at the 20% level.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

If forced air is used to help quench the gap, can you have too much air
flow and hurt performance?  If so any opinion as to what happens that
hurts the performance?

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net