RE: ebay caps

Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>

Hello Matt

Not long ago, I won a 50kv, 0.1uF cap on ebay. The cap was
large, with tall insulators. I was very suspicious that it
was a filter cap, but I thought it would be good for very
short runs. I came across the cap at the last moments of
bidding and the price was low. After about a month, the seller
notified me that he had forgotten about my purchase and would
now determine the shipping charges. After someone on the other
tesla list said the cap probably contained PCBs, I asked
for the plate data. The word pyranol meant PCBs. After
telling the seller that I could not accept the cap, he settled
for a small portion of the price. I and others should learn
that big ebay caps, with nice tall terminals are worthless
for coiling and probably contain PCBs. I've been totally
dependent on two Maxwells, which limits my coiling. I guess
my next stop will be the geek group.

Godfrey Loudner