Re: Power level Vs Coil hieght

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 2/15/04 9:09:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Luke,
>
>If I'm not mistaken, list member Ed Sonderman runs a 6" x 27" tall
>secondary topped by two toroids and driven by a 5 kVA pole pig and
>gets up to 104" sparks from it. Of course he'll also tell you that
>he's running this secondary at its "ragged edge" too, but I'm sure
>that a 15 kv/90 mA power source would NOT be overstressing a secon-
>dary coil of this magnitude. I'm sure Ed himself could comment fur-
>ther on his coil in case I have any of the facts and figures confused.
>
>David Rieben

Dave,

You are correct.  I got good performance with that coil all the way from 12
kv 60 ma on up to the 5 kva level.  Of course the primary cap, spark gap
and toroids all changed as power was scaled up.  The original configuration
was with a RQ style static gap and a 12 kv 60 ma transformer.

Ed Sonderman