RE: Series connection of Mosfets/IGBTs

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

The IGBT's we work with utilize the standard IGBT technology; that is they
have a bipolar region [either PT or NPT] that is heavily influenced by the
MOSFET body current.  They do not contain a string of devices in
series.  All of the internal IGBT dies are in parallel, and all are rated
for the full operating voltage.
IGBT's aren't limited by frequency per se, but more so by their maximum
di/dt rating. So the max operating freq would be dependent on the peak
current as well:

di/dt = Ipeak * 2pi * freq

And like many other bits of technology, prices are always coming down.