Re: term understanding: voltage reversal.

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

>More robust 45 kV caps will survive in a similar environment:
>http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2596506003
>
>Since the problem is associated with oscillatory discharge in the tank
>circuit, the method of charging the cap (AC or DC) is irrelevant.
>
>Best regards,
>
>-- Bert --

This 45 kV cap that you have a link to is a 31xxx series cap, which I
believe are only rated for 1 PPS, that is if I remember correctly . . .
Anyone have more info on this cap?  It may work in a lower power coil (it's
about the right size for a 9/30, at LTR for a stationary gap), but I would
expect it to heat up a little more than one of hte 37xxx caps.  Like I
said, that is if I remember the model numbers correctly.  Feel free to
comment if anyone knows for sure . . .

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL