Re: term understanding: voltage reversal.

Bert has a great point here.  A nice neat equation.  If you use a storage
scope to see the primary discharge waveform you can find the nearly exact Q
factor of your primary circuit.  Knowing the % voltage reversal you can
solve the equation for effective Q factor.

Another method is to observe the decrement (decay) factor which is related
to circuit resistance.  You can use this information to determine effective
dynamic Q factor was well.

You fire the primary with and without the sec in place --- in a single shot
mode.  Do not try this at high rep rates or the excessive Q without the sec
will blow the cap.

In a single shot mode you can compare the loaded and unloaded Q factor and
thus determine the effective impedance of the primary looking into the
secondary load. This information can also be used to determine the peak
current in the primary and then compared to actual measurements with close
agreement.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.