Re: term understanding: voltage reversal.

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Christopher,

You are probably OK. You may be operating close to the limits of the cap,
and you may see some shortening of the capacitor's life depending on your
main gap setting. Since these caps are typically "pulls", it's hard to say
how much stress they've seen in their previous life and how much remaining
life they'll have in your system.

Unlike capacitors packaged in cylindrical cases or smaller metal cased
caps, caps using this package style normally do not fail explosively when
used in a TC tank circuit. If you overheat the capacitor during long runs
or get a sudden buildup of gas due to internal arcing, the soft
polypropylene cases are designed to bulge outwards to help relieve internal
pressure. Obviously, if you kept running your system under these conditions
it may be possible to blow the oil-fill plug or perhaps even rupture the
case. I've not heard of any coiler actually experiencing this problem with
this style package. However, it may still be a good idea to put the cap
inside an inexpensive plastic container to catch the oil in case you do
have a messy failure. BTW, some commercial pulsed laser systems use a
microswitch that monitors one side of the capacitor's case so that the
system can be shut down if the case begins to bulge outwards.

Good luck and best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP