Micro Audio Modulated SSTC (completed)

Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hello,

Today I started and finished my Micro SSTC.  It is about 4.5" tall, and
makes a 3/4" spark off 20VDC.

The secondary is a poly bottle that used to contain isopropyl alcohol.  The
entire secondary is 1.375" wide, and 3" high.  It is wound with 40AWG wire
(which is murder to work with).

The driver circuit consists of a 74HC14 hex inverter, driving a single
UCC37322 non-inverting gate drive IC, which in turn drives a single
FDH44N50 44A 500v MOSFET.

The entire coil is very compact, and fits into a small aluminum box.  The
power source is smooth 20VDC at 3A.  The maximum voltage is just determined
by the 7805 and 7815 voltage regulators which max out a 35v.  So I could
pump about 30v in, and get a ~1" - 1.5" spark.

I also tried audio modulation, by way of supply voltage modulation.  A
single MOSFET modulates input voltage to the coil, and produces quite loud
sound, but it wasn't that clean, due to my iPod being on "bass boost" mode...

I am going to put the coil up on eBay tomorrow, hopefully some people will
bite,  it took me 4 hours of winding alone to wind the secondary (after
having to restart 4 times due to wire breakage).

Here are links to Pictures, and a video.

Video:
<http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/temp/MOV01264.MPG>www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/temp/MOV01264.MPG
Picture:
<http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/DSC01258.JPG>www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/DSC01258.JPG
Picture:
<http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/DSC01259.JPG>www.hot-streamer-dot-com/electrontube/DSC01259.JPG

Please note: that these pictures do not capture the full spark for some
reason, in real life, it is much bushier and longer, not just a thin thread.

Regards - Jim Mitchell