Re: LED at 60 HZ? (was RE: Radio Shack Strobes)

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

I have used my Luxeon Star 180,000 mCd white LED to do this and to check
sync with my SRSG. You want the LED to fire only at the peak of the sine
wave (1/2 or full wave rectified) which might be 9 - 12 V depending on the
transformer. It helps to have a zener diode eg 6V in series, and to run
everything from a variac and you still need the current limiting resistor.
It easily handles the 50 Hz and will go much higher.
See
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/electronics.htm#High%20power%20white%20LE
Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder)