Re: Charging inductors for resonant charging

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Ed, Jim and all,

Here's an idea I was kicking around with Ed Wingate a while back. You could
simply use another distribution transformer and ballast as a HV charging
inductor. Use the HV winding in series as the charging inductor. Connect
the low voltage side of the DT to high current ballast (welder or
adjustable high current inductive ballast). The DT will multiply the LV
side ballast inductance by its turns ratio squared, easily making the HV
side look like a large, adjustable, HV inductor. And a properly sized DT
already has the necessary BIL and current rating required.

By selecting the proper distribution transformer and ballast, you should be
able to get almost infinite flexibility with without the need to resort to
a custom HV choke.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP