Re: TC Question

Original poster: David Sharpe <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi Dr. R.!

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 >
 > The secondary streamer isn't the problem.  It might give you a small RF burn
 > but it's the primary coil that's dangerous.
 >
 > A safe solution would be to put your primary in a circular acrylic "box"
 > covering the primary coil (after tuning of course).  The cylindrical box
 > would have a circular side and a top but no bottom.  It would attach to your
 > upper sub-base unit with some plastic "nubs" which are drilled and tapped
 > for a nylon fastener.  Four would be enough to hold it securely on the
 > sub-base assembly.  You would, of course, leave this off until all your fine
 > tuning is completed, and then replace it.

I built a TC to take to my son's elementary school.  I built a wooden
box with a switchgear grade fiberglass top.  The primary was mounted
inside the box (i.e. on one side of the fiberglass, flat spiral), secondary was
mounted on top.  Powering transformer was a 9kV 30mA.  It worked
flawlessly and would provide streamers up to 12" long, was using doorknob
caps (~4.2nF tank capacitance).  All high energy HV was within box and
out of sight.  The unit looked very nice (clean appearance with no primary)
and was somewhat magical to see sparks with no apparent method to
create the energy.

<<SNIPPO>>

 > Dr. Resonance
 >
 > Resonance Research Corporation