Re: TC Question and Discharge Safety - Lightning from Fingers

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

No.  The RF currents ARE NOT passing through this guy's body.  He is wearing
a conductive suit over his entire body including his hands.  This allows the
conductive
suit to act as a faraday cage (sort of) and allow the current to pass from
the topload of the tesla coil, through the conductive suit, and discharge
from the guys fingers
which are also conductive.  No RF current is passing through the guy's body.

This is similar to what Jeff Parisse is doing at KVA Effects in California.
The link below is there great demonstration video showing huge tesla coils,
and many individuals doing the lightning from the
finger trick including one of the female members of GWAR.  (Big video
though - 55MB)
http://www.teslacoil-dot-com/files/power=kva_effects.mpg

If this guy IS NOT wearing a conductive suit, then yes, he IS slowly
toasting himself to an early grave.

Also, do not get any ideas from either of these videos.  This experiment is
extremely dangerous and performed by trained professional stuntmen.
To attempt this at home would surely win  you a Darwin Award for the year.

Dan

 > so i take it the guy sitting on top of the tesla coil in the hvfx
 > video,
 > http://www.hvfx.co.uk/video/lightningman.mpg
 > is slowly toasting himself to an early grave?.
 >
 > regards
 > richard
 > aus.
 >

 >  >
 >  > There is no such tesla coil capable of what you ask.  There are always
 >  > dangers involved.  Sure, you could take a metal rod and pull the arc of
 >  > most small tesla coils (up to about 4kV/30mA) as well as VTTCs and
STTCs