Re: Happy new year, and 3.5" first light

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

3 to 4 inch sparks aren't bad for the first coil, my first did about 2
inches. After some (well, much) tweaking it eventually got about 12 inch
sparks. And I don't care about hearing about 5-foot bolts made by someone
else, when you first get your own coil to work, those few inches seem huge.
=D After messing with it enough I'm sure you will get some really cool
sparks out of it. As far as tuning goes, the simplest way is to simply move
the primary tap out, (or in) and if the sparks get better, move it the same
direction some more. If it's worse, move it the other way. Repeat untill
you've found the place where it works the best. Be sure to only move the
connection when the coil is off though. (Obviously =D )

Original poster: Bob81818-at-aol-dot-com

Hey everyone, just got done fooling around with the last few connections to
my coil and got a few sparks. They were only around 3 to 4" long and quite
thin, but considering the fact that I made the coil, I'm satisfied for the
time being. I'll probably get around tuning it more on Friday, and I'd
appreciate some advice on that, specs for it are at the bottom if needed.
And to wrap things up instead of rambling on... Thanks for all your help on
my first coil, everyone has been very informative, I couldn't have built
this coil without everyone. Thanks again, and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Dan

-3.5 x 10.5" sec
-flat 10 turn pri
-9/30 nst
-18kv .011uf MMC
-really cheaply made spark gap of 2 steel bolts, glows green though, looks
neat :) (i was thinking about remaking it better no! w that i know the
coil will actually work)
-toroid made of 3" ducting

-Chris