RE: SRSG Alignment

Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

Always open to new ideas.  Thanks for highlighting a good option Bart.  Do
you have any pictures ?

By the way, hope you don't mind, but I liked your MMC mounting method so
much I copied it (kind of).  I have mounted my caps on polyethylene backing
boards (one board per series string), with the bleeders, and then slid each
string into a PVC stormwater pipe, put on end caps and brass connectors.
They are 20 inches long and 4 inches wide each, and, like you, I painted
them bright red.  The caps are joined together with 1/4" copper pipe.  They
look great.  I'll take some piccies once I get my digital camera back from
my sister.

Also, I did read the archives on this SRSG alignment issue (before I get
told off for rehashing an old issue), and got the same sort of idea that
this method just did not work very well.

However, as a rough guide, is there a correlation between AC peaks and
stator position ?  From what you are saying, the peaks will be when the
flats are lined up with ... what ... the centre of the run windings (this
makes sense), or the centre of the flats (I would have thought this would be
the zero crossing points).

So, because I am running at 50Hz, my motor should spin at 1500rpm.  4
electrodes lined up with the flats will give me 100bps.  Then I can
fine-tune by rotating the motor in the cradle and later, when I can afford
the extra variac, build the JF phase adjuster - which is not really 100%
necessary, but will allow fine adjustment on-the-fly.  This sound reasonable
?

Rgs
Ian