Re: TESLA COIL REVISED 2

Original poster: "S & J Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Jaro,
With all due respect to you and Mr. Tesla, I recommend you construct a few
coils and determine for yourself the same modern wisdom gained by thousands
of hours of experimentation by hundreds of modern day Tesla coil builders,
some of which clearly demonstrate that Tesla was not always correct in what
he wrote.  Tesla was a brilliant advocate of alternating currents, and with
the limited resources at hand (poor insulating materials, very limited
measurement equipment, etc.), he made some wonderful advances and laid the
foundation for our AC power distribution system.  But not everything he
concluded is absolutely true, as more recent experiments and simulations
have proven.  A study of the Tesla List archives will yield a wealth of
empirical data.  Yes, you can get relative high voltages from a low number
of secondary turns (the coil at Griffith Observatory only has a few hundred
turns), but much recent experience shows that 1000 to 2000 turn secondaries
are more "efficient" (less mains input power needed to achieve a given
output streamer length).  Bottom line - try your ideas by constructing coils
(e.g. 50 turn secondary) and determine for yourself if they have merit.
Avoid the mistake many make, which is that everything Tesla said must be
100% true.  He had a good batting average, and the world has greatly
benefitted from his discoveries and developments, but he also made a few
erroneous conclusions.
--Steve Y.