Re: More information on Nightmare Mikes 90kV/270mA Tesla Coil

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi all,

I'd have to third that! Some kind of definitive proof of these claims
would be nice. It would really be hard to build a primary circuit
that could hold off >90kV w/out serious corona/flashover problems.
I have a 140 kVp, 500 mA x-ray tranny that I power my big Jacob's
ladder with and the rails are set at 7 1/2" apart at their arc start-
ing point (their closest approach to each other) and it will self
start with the variac turned up to only just a little over half of
the rated 240 volt input. It seems to me that you would have to enclose
the entire primary circuit within a sealed atmosphere of pressurized
inert gas at several atmospheres of pressure to make this approach
practical.

I've done some testing and it seems that x-ray transformers are rated
according to the output voltage being under the loading of the x-ray
tube head, so the actual output voltage of an open circuit secondary
from an x-ray tranny is probably more than the rated voltage at the
rated current. I checked my x-ray tranny and determined that it should
theoretically put out about 180 kV with 240 volt input. Of course, the
insulation would probably fail pretty quickly if ran in this manner.
One definite no-no for x-ray trannies is to run them open circuit on
the secondary outputs with the full rated primary input voltage and I
have toasted a few of them in this manner before myself!

David Rieben

PS - I heard of someone from the Art Linkletter Show that stole about 3 pole
pigs from the local utility company, in Missouri, I think, that was try-
ing to built some kind of time machine. That wouldn't be you, would it
"Nightmare" Mike?