Re: HAPTZ wire splicing question

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept-at-comcast-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi all,
 > I just ordered some 22 ga. wire from Express wire services, they were very
 > nice there but I am relatively inexperienced with the practical side of
 > things and did not specify that I wanted a 10 pound spool and looking at
 > the invoice I realized that I am being sent 10 one pound spools.
 > Is it O.K. to just solder the stuff together as I go? I'd probably just
 > have to do this twice. Or should I get rid of this wire and find a longer
 > quantity?
 > Thanks for any replies,
 > Robert Hanford

	Of course you can splice it - it's your wire!  On a more serious note,
I've spliced secondary wire for various reasons.  If it breaks while
it's being wound I make sure to fasten what's been wound with tape
(pre-cut and always at hand), clean and tin the end of both the wire on
the coil and the wire to be wound, and then carefully solder them
together in a lap joint, being as careful as possible to run solder
beads over the ends of the lap so there aren't any sharp ends there.  I
then fold a piece of paper and fit it around the splice with the open
side of the paper out, and go on winding, .  The tension on the wire
will hold the paper in place.  This process is repeated if necessary.
When the winding is done I go back and trim the paper pretty close to
the coil, fold it sideways, and fasten it with lacquer, shellac, or
whatever the coil is to be coated with.  Doesn't look as neat as a
continuous winding but I've never experienced any breakdown at that
point.

Ed