SSTC and ignition coil drivers

Original poster: "Mudford, Chris" <chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>

Hi Everyone and happy NEW Year from NZ

It is strange to think that in the US you wait for Summer to do a lot of
your coiling when in NZ (mid Summer at the moment) I'm finding running
my coil restricted.  With 3 young kids and it not getting dark until
after 9 o'clock it is diffcult to run my small coil inside due to the
noise.  I have to wait till dark due to the limited input power (180W)
whereby the kids are meant to be asleep etc etc.

There are a couple of things I would like to have a go at.  Firstly I
have a 12V DC supply of 14A which I thought would be good to drive a
single or pair of ignition coils for plasma sphere or the likes.  Does
anyone have a schematic with readily accessible components that is easy
to construct on strip board or perf board that does not require a
indepth knowledge of electronics?

The other is a SSTC schematic that is not breaking the records but is
reliable and again moderately easy to build with readily available
components noting that I'm on 230V supply..

Cheers, Chris (NZ).
=