Re: Newbie JAVATC question

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Jack,

Yes, but it would be prudent to look at your power source first. You may
want to simply go down to the Transformer Design section of Javatc and
enter your proposed specs as follows:

This would be the specs for a 12000V, 30mA NST in the US,
Example inputs: Vin=120, Vout=12000, Iout(mA)=30, Hz=60, Applied Vin=120,
Ballast=0:

Then calculate it and you'll be given a Resonant, Static Gap LTR, and RSG
LTR cap sizes for the transformer. I suggest staying away from the Resonant
size and use the appropriate LTR size. You then have a proper sized cap for
the power source. From theret, you can set the Primary Winding inputs and
Secondary Inputs.

I usually set the Secondary Inputs and Primary Inputs with a cap size and
do a simple Run Javatc to to make sure the primary spacing is calc'd as I
intended and those type of issues items. Once I'm satisfied that the coil
is represented as I intended (making sure I didn't goof on an input), I'll
check the Auto-tune and do another Run Javatc to let the program adjust the
turns from resonance. ALWAYS MAKE SURE you have a groundplane radius value
in the ground plane radius input. For example, let say you'll run the coil
in a garage. Simply set the distance from the center of the coil to the wall.

Any other questions as your going through it, just ask. If you need
off-line help with the program, just send an email to the address shown above.

Take care,
Bart