From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 5:03 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: IS 240VAC two-phase - NO

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
 >
 >240VAC is correctly denoted as SPLIT single phase.  It is NOT two
phase.

 >It is simply a centertapped, 240VAC single phase line from a single
phase
 >transformer.
 >

 >Dan
 >

 >Two phase denotes a phase angle difference of 180 degrees. The sum of
all
 >phases in any system must always equal 360 degrees. The standard home
 >electrical system in the US is two phase, 180 degree difference( two
times
 >180 equals 360). Each phase is 125 volts RMS to neutral, and 250 volts
RMS
 >from phase to phase.
 >
 >allan

weird....

when testing the house wiring with my O-scope ..  the 120V shows a
single
sine wave ...   when testing the 240 system it shows 2 sine waves ( had
use both leads)

so how does a single phase get "split" via a center tap transformer to
produce the opposed phases ???

Scot D