Re: TESLA COIL REVISED

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"I'm inclined to agree with Jaro on this point.  If we're just
looking at the coil parameters, its easy to see that the theoretical
Q factor of the 50t coil can be much higher than the 1000t coil,
given a few reasonable choices of wire size and coil length.

For eg,

turns        50              1000
diam         12"             3"
length       18"             18"
wire         8 awg           26 awg
Rdc          0.1 ohms        33 ohms
Rac          1.3 ohms        115 ohms
Les          365 uH          9400 uH
Fres         2.2 Mhz         603 kHz

Coil Q       3900            310"

	What really counts here is the difference in coil diameters.  For
single-layer solenoids a given length to diameter ratio and winding
factor the Q at a given frequency is almost independent of the number of
turns, but increases with diameter.  Standard handbooks give formulae
for typical Q vs diameter, winding length, and frequency.  Unfortunately
mine is at work so can't quote.

Ed