Re: Some newbie questions

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>
>

> >Original poster: "Aaron Aab" <striker754-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> >
> >Hey guys!
> >
> >Building a coil in my garage, and have a couple questions.
> >
> >Can I drill a hole in the pvc pipe and run the 2 ends of the secondary coil
> >inside the pipe to a lug in the caps and then use a bolt to exit the pipe?
>
>That's generally a bad idea, as it invites arcing along the interior
>surface.  But the mechanical benefits of what you propose are
>tempting.  I'd recommend placing a pair of plastic disks or baffles inside
>the pipe just inside the ends of the coil.  Cement them in place using a
>liberal dose of PVC cement.  Then make the holes so that the two disks are
>between them, blocking and arcing.

    Concur.
    (I'd better right?  8)>>)
    Specifically there WILL be corona inside, the trapped ions
    this generates have a notable lifetime and lead to internal arc/spark
over...

    Avoid penetration, at least at the top, if possible.

    My coil works better when i made this change, for whatever THAT is worth.

    best
     dwp