Re: IS 240VAC two-phase - NO

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
 >
 > Allan,
 >
 > Well, I've got to disagree with you. There are two schools of thought here
 > regarding electrical power, and you'll find that even some experienced
 > power engineers may argue over this.
 >
 > However, I would think that the most meaningful answer comes by looking at
 > how multiphase power is actually generated. A single phase generator has
 > one pair of windings located at 0 and 180 degrees. A two phase generator
 > has 2 pairs of windings, one pair at 0 and 180 degrees and the other at 90
 > and 270 degrees. Similarly, a three phase alternator will have three pairs
 > located at 0 and 180, 60 and 240, and 120 and 300 degrees respectively.
 >
 > I cannot agree that, by applying single phase AC to a centertapped
 > transformer, you'll get two phases at the transformer outputs - they are
 > still single phase, but one is in phase opposition (180 degrees) to the
 > other. Tesla's initial polyphase motors and alternators had two phases -
 > separated by 90 degrees. And early AC polyphase power distribution systems
 > had only two phases, again separated by 90 degrees.
 >
 > Best regards,
 >
 > -- Bert --

	Tesla's writings on polyphase waveforms are a classic of beautiful
exposition and lucidity, and anyone interested in the subject should
look them up and read them.  That was from Tesla the man, of course.  As
for Tesla the deity, less said the better on this list.

	For anyone who isn't familiar with the scheme, it's possible to go from
three phase to two phase with a static "Scott T" transformer
arrangement.  Other transformer schemes can give  six phase, twelve
phase, etc.  Can't see any reason for TC nuts to be interested.

Ed