Re: filling toroids

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hi Mark.

The epoxy tuff inside the alu ducting sounds like a good idea to me,
although one has to find a way to keep the liquid epoxy from escaping
through the joint.  A very cheap material that behaves very similar is
polyester resin that is used for car body reapairs. The stuff smells awfull
and looks less pretty when dry compared to epoxy, but is low cost, at least
where I live.
I wonder how that would combine with tubes from tires. One could fill some
epoxy into the tire and then add air to bring the whole thing into shape,
then move it around until the epoxy is dry.... That would give a stable
lightwight toroid that could be coverd with aliminium tape..... I think I
will give that a try next weekend if I can get hold of some cheap barrow
tire and a large syringe. First I have to try if that expoxy stuff cures
without ventilation and if the rubber can stand any involved solvents....
Maybe other liquids work better, but the idea seems better to than the
foam.....we'll see.

I will post any experiences after the weekend.

Sincerely

Christoph Bohr