Re: Wire worries......do I need HV wire, or will 600V hardware store wire do?

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi Jack...

the insulation rating is for direct contact of an insulated wire to a
grounded object. Sooo...   if a wire( actually the insulation)  is rated
for 600V , the insulation should hold up to 600V near or in contact to a
grounded object.   Yes at 15KV it will punch thru the insulation within
contact and up to 3/4 of an inch from a grounded object.    Keep in mind
when wiring the Hi Volt side of things, keep a good 1 - 2 " distance from
objects that will be seen as a ground by the hi volt side ( basically
everything).  Also....   when using "low" voltage insulation ( e.g.
600V)  ratings with "hi voltage" systems( e.g. 5KV+), the insulation will
not protect you from a shock.  You can still get nailed when handling or
getting within3/4 -  1/2" of insulated wire when your system is
energized.  And for those of us with the hi volt wire, yes we like to show
off our good fortune in finding such wonderful stuff...

Scot D