Re: SSTC - experiments

Original poster: "Gavin Dingley" <gdingley-at-ukf-dot-net>

Hi Harold,
wouldn't the rod have to be rather long to be an efficient radiator of
electromagnetic waves, even at 1MHz the length of the rod would have to be
about 300m/4 = 75m (25ft). In conventional quarter-wave marconi antennas the
base of the radiating element can be bottom loaded with an inductance, or
top loaded with a "top-hat" (i.e. a lump of conductor with large surface
area to act as an isotropic capacity), in either case the element is only
tuned to the correct frequency for maximum power transfer, I don't think the
radiation resistance is improved (i.e. the amount of input power which is
converted to radiated EM waves). At the end of the day the best EM radiator
is an element of the correct resonant length, not a coil with a top load
such as is the case with TCs. This is as I understand it any way, please
correct me if I am wrong.

This particular point has made me wonder about the Colorado Springs
transmitter. The magnifier set-up consisted of a base fed coil, the top of
which was connected to a long conductor (cable) terminated with a conducting
sphere (wooden frame covered in copper foil). To me this looks like a
Marconi quarter-wave with base coil loading and capacitive top-loading.
Although the length of the conductor was short compared to a 50kHz wave, it
must have radiated EM waves to some relatively large extent? Of course the
Wardenclyffe Tower and modern TC/magnifier construction has no such length
of conductor running from the secondary coil to the top-load. I wonder if
many of Tesla's results/observed phenomena at CS were due to EM from this
length of conductor, and so such phenomena would not have been so apparent
at Wardenclyffe or any modern magnifier constructed today. Tesla insisted
that the best apparatus for HIS wireless did not radiate EM waves, as this
constituted a loss or waste of power. Yet the CS station did have a length
of cable that must have acted as a radiating element. Well perhaps someone
more qualified than me can suggest an answer to this.

Regards,

Gavin