RE: Variac and stationary gap TCs

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

An interesting question!  Yes, if your cap is mains-resonant, your
NST/cap
will achieve resonant rise sufficient to fire the gap at a very wide
variac-range, not just near the top.  But even with a cap that is 2X
LTR, a
static gap will fire over a surprisingly wide variac range.  I would
recommend the use of a variac regardless of cap LTR-ness and gap type.

Thanks Gary, I now have a variac on order. This will make a much better
controller than my current "emergecy stop" button.

Tom L.