RE: kVA Effects on Discovery Channel

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I'm afraid not, guys.  The popularization of science doesn't have to be
dumbed down and replete with errors in order to be effective, even in a
world of distracting consumer electronics.  I feel like I should cite Carl
Sagan's Cosmos, which was produced in video form, aired as a television
program, and is still talked about today.  Then there are other popularizer
which have been very effective -- Stephen Hawking's brief History, plus a
video series as well.  Martin Gardner, since 1955 and editing the
Scientific American Mathematical Games column for 25 consecutive years.  No
way am I going to believe a popular science show has to be dumbed down to
baby talk and be replete with errors and ommisions to be effective.  If
that's the case the human race is certainly doomed to extinction this
century.

I learned to read decently at age 3.  By age 4 I was interested in
elementary particles and nuclear fission/fusion.  I could draw and label
the parts of the atom in several elements.  I've soaked up everything I
could find about science since then, and I think it's a tragedy that there
isn't a *true* discovery channel where the actual science was of paramount
importance.  Too bad we have a weak imitation out there passing itself off
as the real thing.  I don't believe we are members of some kind of
falacious "intellectual elite" and the "layman" isn't capable of
understanding scientific principles.  That's a cop out, a form of
pessimism, and it's giving up on hope for the future.  So sorry guys, I
just don't agree with that defeatest stance.  I don't think I'm any kind of
superman, and others who are interested can learn the science just like I have.

-Brett

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle
I totally agree with Dan here.
While some of us may have thought it was
neat/cool/interesting to make our own electromagnets
and crystal radio sets when we were very young,
science now has to compete with Nintendo, X-Box and
PlayStation 2, with surround sound on a big, wide
screen. A homemade electromagnet is boring. A crystal
radio isn't capable of being "cranked up", and only
receives talk radio.
It's gotta explode to capture a kid's attention these
days. A Tesla coil, or coin shrinker captures their
attention; even if only for a brief instant. TV shows
and commercials are much different than they were when
I grew up. Rapidly changing frames and lotsa loud
sounds. It's sensory overload. Science has to compete
with that. If you gotta cheat a little, so be it.
Ma! ybe it'll get a few younger folks interested in our
craft.
Adam
--- Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H"
 >

 > > Hate to sound like an
 > > old geezer at age 21, but this kind of crap is
 > the reason America's
 > > children don't pay attention to science and
 > technology these days.
 > > Society tells them the details aren't important
 > and they don't have to
 > > understand it or know anything about it.
 >
 > I vehemently disagree with this statement. Again,
 > you are assuming a
 > child is intelligent enough to
 > understand the difference between volts, current,
 > etc... One of the most
 > important thing in getting a child
 > interested in science and technology is exposure.
 > Even if the
 > explanations are incorrect, it is ultimately
 > the exp! osure of seeing a tesla coil working, etc...
 > that provides the
 > true inspiration. Once inspired, the
 > child can then choose to learn more about the device
 > in question on his
 > own or by continuing his/her education in a science
 > related degree.
<<This subject is starting to drift Off Topic.... - Terry>>